The Data Center Operations Engineer is responsible for daily operations at multiple data centers within FirstLight, owning and maintaining the operation of a data center and its core facilities, HVAC, and power systems, as well as responsibility for safety, security, availability, scaling, costs and efficiency of the data center environment. Job duties must be completed within safety, legal and regulatory requirements; company standards, culture, and business practices. The job will require being a part of an on-call rotation for support including working remotely and dispatching if necessary.
- Operate mission-critical HVAC, mechanical, and electrical systems in multiple data center facilities. Deploy and maintain infrastructure hardware at production data centers, both hands-on and remote.
- Performs operation, installation, and servicing of peripheral devices while assisting with equipment start-ups, repairs and overhauls.
- Mission-critical monitoring and alarm/alert systems that monitor the buildings HVAC, mechanical, and electrical systems.
- Performs preventive maintenance, site surveys, replacement of electrical and mechanical equipment as well as performs emergency equipment repair.
- Assure security of the facilities, and manage access to vendors and contractors, monitor facilities for power, cooling and other capacity needs.
- Perform cross connects and other Data Center provisioning tasks as needed. Performs installation of customer network and server equipment (rack, stack and cabling) and removing of this same equipment when decommissioned.
- Provides technical support for customers, both internal and external, develop training documentation for end users and other team members.
- Provide feedback on and refinement of data center operational processes.
- Create and / or update as-built site documentation.
- Maintain Standards of a SOC, HIPAA, and PCI-DSS Compliant Data Center.
- All other duties as assigned by Supervisor/Manager.
- Strong mechanical and electrical experience required.
- Experience working with building management systems.
- Knowledge of data center critical infrastructure components preferred.
- Knowledge of construction, HVAC, AC and DC power fundamentals.
- Ability to analyze and identify issues negatively impacting facility operations.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical and problem solving skills with a willingness to learn new tools and technologies and take on new responsibilities as assigned.
- Ability to independently research new ideas, solve problems and complete tasks on time.
- Must demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing and to explain complex technical issues in a non-technical manner.
- Must be customer, detail oriented, have a good decision-making ability and a “whatever it takes” approach.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Mechanical Engineering degree, or a combination of equivalent work experience and education.
- Data Center Certification or related discipline preferred.
We offer a competitive base salary as well as an outstanding benefits package including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, paid training, and paid time off.
FirstLight Fiber is a fast-growing telecommunications company in Northern New England and New York, offering a robust suite of advanced telecommunications services, including dedicated Internet access, Metro Ethernet, traditional TDM solutions, IaaS & SaaS Cloud Solutions, SIP trunks, virtual PBX, and Data Center Colocation.
FirstLight Fiber is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with state and federal laws, FirstLight’s equal opportunity policy is that all applicants and employees are treated equally by the company with respect to employment opportunities, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or veteran disability.