FirstLight Fiber is seeking Field Technicians to join our growing team in Western New York Region reporting out of our Victor, NY office.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The field technician position is responsible for installing, operating, and ensuring the timely maintenance and restoration of circuits and infrastructure supporting FirstLight Fiber’s voice and data network and customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Repair or replace network infrastructure such as defective and damaged electronics, wiring, switching system components, and associated equipment.
- Remove and restore connections to change circuit layouts, following work orders or diagrams.
- Test circuits and components of malfunctioning telecommunications equipment to isolate sources of malfunctions, using test meters, circuit diagrams, and other network diagnostic tools.
- Test repaired, newly installed, or updated equipment to ensure that it functions properly and conforms to specifications, using test equipment and observation.
- Respond to service-related issues as identified by the Customer Service and Network Operations Center (NOC).
- Document network by labeling equipment and cables; recording configuration diagrams and specifications.
- Demonstrate equipment to customers and explain how it is to be used and respond to any inquiries or complaints.
- Drive crew trucks and other company vehicles to and from work areas, including remote areas in all weather conditions.
- Maintains safe work environment by following codes, standards, and legal regulations.
- Inspect equipment on a regular basis to ensure proper performance.
- Analyze test readings, computer printouts, and trouble reports to determine equipment repair needs and required repair methods.
- Adjust or modify equipment to enhance equipment performance or to respond to customer requests.
- Communicate with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing or by telephone or email.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical publications.
- Enhance department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different request; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, and SKILLS:
Broad experience in installing and troubleshooting voice and/or data services. Understanding of testing, maintenance, and operation of telecommunication system procedures. Ability to work with attention to detail and thoroughness in completing tasks. Must possess strong problem-solving skills. Must be a strong communicator, providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and customers. Should possess basic computer skills. Position will require being part of an on-call rotating schedule as well as some scheduled night work for maintenance. Flexibility to take overnight travel assignments a plus.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma with a minimum of three (3) years relevant experience installing and troubleshooting voice and/or data services; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Valid driver’s license with good driving record. Familiarity with OSHA standards. Ability to pass drug and criminal background checks for carrier access cards.
We offer a competitive base salary as well as an outstanding benefits package including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, paid training, and paid time off.
FirstLight Fiber is a fast-growing telecommunications company in Northern New England and New York, offering a robust suite of advanced telecommunications services, including dedicated Internet access, Metro Ethernet, traditional TDM solutions, IaaS & SaaS Cloud Solutions, SIP trunks, virtual PBX, and Data Center Colocation.
FirstLight Fiber is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with state and federal laws, FirstLight’s equal opportunity policy is that all applicants and employees are treated equally by the company with respect to employment opportunities, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or veteran disability.