FirstLight is seeking a Repair Technician I or II to join our growing team!
The Repair Technician provides first level technical support to residential and business clients within the Repair Network Operations Center. The NOC Technician I works cross-functionally with customers, internal resources, equipment vendors, carriers, and field operations to resolve issues in production network and telecommunications systems. Works under general supervision, possesses and demonstrates basic knowledge and proficiency required to perform assigned job functions and responsibilities, may require training and detailed instructions for assigned tasks as necessary. This position has the flexibility to offer weekend, night, and day shifts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Investigate, document and diagnose trouble calls to resolve service affecting issues across multiple service platforms including but not limited to DSL, T1, Carrier Ethernet and Internet services.
- Participate in a technical call queue. Responsible for documenting information on all incoming calls in a ticketing system to track issue counts and response and resolution time.
- Trouble ticket management (create, resolve, escalate and manage through to resolution)
- Develop extensive knowledge of the Company’s products and services to better assist customers.
- Oversee and participate in network maintenance with support teams; ensure customers are informed of maintenance activities and confirm service restoration after completion of maintenance.
- Troubleshoot network events and outages on equipment including: IP routers, ethernet switches, Optical Network Terminals (ONT), M13/SONET multiplexors, DSL and T1 aggregators, etc.
- Operate in a 24 X 7 Network Operations Center; this includes shift work and off-peak coverage.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical publications, participating in online self-paced training and FirstLight University.
- Enhance department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to the company.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, and SKILLS:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required. Detail oriented, highly organized.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends as necessary.
- Ability to follow instructions, take notes and perform tasks consistently.
- Basic knowledge of Ethernet and IP required. Successful candidate will have a fundamental understanding of layers 1-4 of the OSI Model.
- Familiarity with Network Edge, Transport and Access technologies (SONET, DSL, GPON, Active Ethernet).
- Familiarity with one of the following vendors platforms is a plus: Adtran, Ciena, Cisco, Calix, Telco Systems or Tellabs.
- Ability to create, test, document and follow processes.
- Ability to work one of the following shifts:
- C-Shift: SSMTW, 11:00PM-8:00AM
- C-Shift:WTFSS, 11:00PM-8:00AM
- B-Shift: WTFSS, 3:00PM-12:00AM
- A-Shift: WTFSS, 8:00AM-5:00PM
- Note: all shifts start/stop time may vary by up to 1 hour.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical field with 2-3 years relevant telecommunications experience or Associate’s Degree in a technical field with network related coursework
- 1-5 years relevant telecommunications experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSE, REGISTRATIONS:
- CCNA or similar level industry certification preferred but not required.
We offer a competitive base salary as well as an outstanding benefits package including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, paid training, and paid time off.
FirstLight Fiber is a fast-growing telecommunications company in Northern New England and New York, offering a robust suite of advanced telecommunications services, including dedicated Internet access, Metro Ethernet, traditional TDM solutions, IaaS & SaaS Cloud Solutions, SIP trunks, virtual PBX, and Data Center Colocation.
FirstLight Fiber is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with state and federal laws, FirstLight’s equal opportunity policy is that all applicants and employees are treated equally by the company with respect to employment opportunities, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or veteran disability.