Federal Communications Commission’s Emergency Broadband Benefit Program
FirstLight is participating in the Federal Communications Commission’s Emergency Broadband Benefit program to help struggling Maine residential customers who are having or have had difficulty paying for Internet service during the pandemic.
Through its ILEC, which serves residential customers based in certain areas of Maine (see list below), FirstLight will provide a discount of up to $50 a month towards broadband service for eligible Maine households and up to $75 per month for Maine households on tribal lands during the program period.
A household is eligible if one member of the household:
- Qualifies for the Lifeline program;
- Receives benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision, or did so in the 2019-2020 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Experienced a substantial loss of income since February 29, 2020, and the household had a total income in 2020 below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers; or
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
This program is temporary and will end when the funds are exhausted or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services declares the end of the COVID 19 health emergency, whichever happens first.
FirstLight customers eligible and interested in registering for the program can apply through the National Verifier at www.GetEmergencyBroadband.org. Note: customers who qualify through the National Verifier must contact Customer Service at 1-833-673-9911, option #3 to inform FirstLight of eligibility. Lifeline customers don’t need to apply via National Verifier, but need only contact Customer Service to express their wish to participate.
For general info about the national program, visit https://www.fcc.gov/emergency-broadband-benefit-program.
Customers in the following towns serviced by FirstLight may be eligible for discounts:
- Albany Township (parts of)
- Bryant Pond
- Locke Mills
- Mason Township (parts of)
- Minot (parts of)
- North Norway
- North Turner
- Roxbury Pond
- West Bethel
- West Paris